Do you want to use your Windows 10 device as an alarm clock? If you didn’t know, you can easily set different / multiple alarms on Windows 10 and everything through a dedicated and built-in feature.
By checking the guidelines from below, you can learn how to use this built-in feature for setting a new alarm event. Additionally, we will discuss about the advantages and downsides of using the Windows 10 Alarms & Clock software and we will also see how to use a third-party app for obtaining even better (and customizable) results.
Using your Windows 10 PC as an alarm clock can turn out to be extremely useful as you can set notifications at work while you are completing other tasks, at home while playing games or while you aren’t using your computer but you still have to use a reminder for ‘just in case’.
Regardless of your reasons, a Windows 10 alarm clock can help you organize and plan your daily schedule. Now, as mentioned above, you can do it by using the Alarms & Clock built-in app or through a third-party app such as VLC player.
Thus, we are discussing about free-distributed solutions that can be easily managed even by inexperienced users or newbies who are using the Windows 10 system for the first time. As described below, the major downside when using Alarms & Clock software is related with only one aspect: you can receive the notifications only if your device is awake.
Basically, if you power off your machine, the alarm clock will no longer work. Well, if keeping your computer awake for a long period of time is not sounding appealing to you, a better idea will be to use the second section of this tutorial – there you can learn how to set an alarm clock through VLC player.
How to use Windows 10 PC as personal alarm clock
Use built-in Windows 10 Alarms & Clock feature
- Power on your computer.
- Click on the Search icon – located near the Windows Start button (usually, it’s the Cortana icon).
- In the search field type alarms.
- Click on the Alarms & Clock result.
- This should take you to the Windows 10 built-in alarm app.
- From there, you can edit the alarm that is already created – just click on the entry that’d displayed and choose when to set the alarm, for how long and so on.
- If you want to add and customize a new alarm, click on the ‘+’ icon located at the bottom-right corner of the main window.
- And follow on-screen prompts for: setting a new alarm time, entering a new name for the newly created alarm, choosing when to repeat this new setup and the alarm or applying a new sound for your new notification.
- When done, click on the Save button.
Keep in mind that this alarm will work only if your Windows 10 system is awake. Thus, a good idea might be to adjust your device’s sleep settings before doing anything else – you can complete this additional task by following:
- Press the Win+I keyboard hotkeys.
- From System Settings click on System (is the first entry).
- Now, from the left side of the main window choose the Power & sleepfeature.
- Choose when to enter sleep mode and make sure that your device will be awake for being able to receive the recently set alarm notification.
Create a new task and run it through VLC player
Use this method if you want to run a video or a specific sound as your alarm notification. Also, this solution can even wake your computer from sleep mode, so you don’t have to worry about any other things. So let’s see how to use your Windows 10 PC as an alarm clock by using this dedicated solution:
- Click on the Search field as explained above.
- There, type task scheduler and click on the entry with the same name.
- From Task Scheduler click on Action and choose ‘Create Basic Task’.
- Complete the field by following on-screen prompts.
- From Start a Program field enter the path to VLC and also the path to the music or video you want to play in the end.
- Make sure that in the Add Arguments path (there is where you enter the path to music and video files) there is no space included.
- In the end, make sure you check the ‘open the properties dialog for this task when I click finish’ option.
- Further settings can be now configured.
- From this new window, switch to Conditions tab and check the ‘wake the computer to run this task’ field.
- That’s all.
These two solutions are describing the easiest and quickest ways in which you can customize an alarm clock right on your Windows 10 computer. Of course, if you go to Windows Store you can find other alternatives, but I wouldn’t recommend any other third-party software.
For a regular use the Alarms & Clock app should be just enough; and if you want to use more customizations, you can create a task and run it through a media player just as explained above.
However, you can recommend any other trusted solution by using the comments field from below – that’s the only way in which we can all participate in improving the overall Windows 10 experience.